THE CURRENT COMPOSITION OF THE AUTHORITY
3. Finance Member
4. Engineer Member
5. Town Planner Member
7. Chief Architect, Government of Karnataka
8. Commissioner, Bangalore Mahanagara Palike
9. Principal Secretary to Government, Urban Development Dept
10. Managing Director, Bangalore Electrical Supply Company
11. Chairman, Bangalore Water Supply & Sewerage Board
12. Managing Director, BMTC, Bangalore
13. Sri M.Srinivas, Councillor, B.M.P.
14. Sri N.Nagaraju, Councillor, B.M.P.
CONSTITUTION OF BDA
The development to large, medium and small industries and the consequent increase in population has given rise to a number of formidable problems. The enormous growth of the area occupied by the city during all these years and the congestion of populations in many areas, inevitable growth of slums have all combined to make it extremely difficult to maintain the reputation on Bangalore as city beautiful. The growth of the vastness of the city from a mere 28.85 Km in 1901 to 174.71 Kms. in 1971 and 272.12 Kms. in 1981 would give an idea of the enormity of the problem of the maintenance of the city.The growing importance of Bangalore has led the disappearance of a number of small and large tanks in and around Bangalore and also the disappearance of the greenery in the form of abundant trees that existed, resulting in diminishing the claims of the city to be called a Garden City or the Air conditioned City.It was felt that planning and development functions should be vested with one agency. With this end in view, Bangalore Development Authority came into being with effect from 16th January 1976 , under a separate Act of the State Legislature. This Authority combined in itself the planning functions of the City Planning Authority and developmental functions of C.I.T.B. The Bangalore Development Authority is the planning and development Agency for the Bangalore Metropolitan Area.
The salient provisions of Bangalore Development Authority Act, which ensures planning, implementation as well as co-ordination are mentioned below:
• Bangalore Development Authority as Planning Authority under the Karnataka Town and Country Planning Act is the agency for drawing up development plan and Town Planning schemes in Bangalore Metropolitan Area.
• The Authority can take up land acquisition and developmental schemes, housing schemes etc. Bangalore Development Authority has power for controlling the developments and enforcement of the plan and has also powers to implement developmental schemes.
• The Act empowers Bangalore Development Authority to issue directions to other Authorities connected with developmental activities.
• The act provides for proper co-ordination between BDA and the BCC which is the other important development agency, when development schemes are envisaged by either agency.
• The Corporation has to perform its functions in respect of land use and development with the concurrence of Bangalore Development Authority.